Happy Presidents Day.
Sorry it’s been awhile since I’ve posted. I had a very big test to prepare for and I have been unable to ignore life lately. This last week there was some highs and lows in my progress. I’ve not been very motivated the last few days… even when seeing my weight was 142.3. So here’s what I’ve been up to.
I was good with my eating on Monday. Mondays are usually the easiest for me because I’m at school all day and don’t have time to run through any fast food. So I eat what I bring… and if I didn’t bring enough, well tough luck. Tuesday was okay also. But when Wednesday rolled around I was tired and upset about things. I went to Sonic and got myself a cheeseburger, tatter tots and a cherry limeaid. It was good but I felt awful after eating it. I didn’t make up for it by working out, and I felt doubly bad for that. Thursday I ate correctly and decided to cook a new healthy dish for the family on Friday. Boy was it good! I got this recipe from delish.com. Oh… I also forgot to take a picture, I’m just not on my game this week.
Zucchini Turkey Sausage casserole. (12 servings)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) long-grain brown rice
- 3 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cup(s) (about 1 pound) diced zucchini and/or summer squash
- 2 red or green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 1/2 cup(s) low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 cup(s) shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup(s) fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernels
- 2 teaspoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounce(s) turkey sausage, casings removed
- 4 ounce(s) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped pickled jalapeños
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pour rice into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan. Stir hot broth into the rice along with zucchini (and/or squash), bell peppers, onion, and salt. Cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 35 to 45 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, whisk milk and flour in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until bubbling and thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add 1 1/2 cups Jack cheese and corn and cook, stirring, until the cheese is melted. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add sausage. Cook, stirring and breaking the sausage into small pieces with a spoon, until lightly browned and no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- When the rice is done, stir in the sausage and cheese sauce. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Jack cheese on top and dollop cream cheese by the teaspoonful over the casserole. Top with jalapeños.
Return the casserole to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
It was sooooo good. But make sure you stick to your serving size, otherwise you could get in trouble. Also a tip, DO NOT start cooking this at 5pm! The prep work takes about 45 minutes alone and since it’s brown rice it takes almost 2 hours to cook the dish. I’m going to try and figure out how to reduce the cooking time with using Minute brown rice. But it was well worth the work. The brown rice was done to perfection and I couldn’t tell the difference. I also used fat-free milk instead of low-fat and I did not top the dish with the extra 1/2 cup of jack cheese. When I was prepping, I was a little nervous… the ingredients don’t sound like they would go together very well. I was pleasantly surprised. 4 days later there are no left overs lol.
Saturday rolled around and I lost focus again. I drove through Jack in the box and got a grilled chicken sourdough sandwich with a small fry. I didn’t have the soda though… lol. I haven’t weighed myself because 1. I’m afraid to look at the damage, and 2. It’s that time of the month. I’m cutting myself some slack because of that.
Sunday was Valentines day. It was not the best day for me. If I had my choice I would have stayed in bed all day. But I decided to take my son to a movie. In a serious moment of weakness I ate a whole box of raisinettes with half a bag of buttered movie popcorn. The rest of the day was spent nibbling on candies and chocolates. I tried to make up for it by having a small piece of salmon and asparagus for dinner.
Boy do I have to get back on track. All bad food and no exercise makes Christy a fat girl! I’m going to attack this week like it was a homework assignment… although I haven’t had much motivation to do that either lately…
Thanks for stopping by. Any one else struggling? Any tips or recipes to get me back in the mood to reach my goal? I DO NOT want to sabotage myself when I’m so close. Wish me luck!